Pennsylvanians Against Gerrymandering
Activists in Pennsylvania are working to advance policy to prevent gerrymandering that would:
- Create an independent redistricting commission that is politically balanced between Republicans, Democrats and Independents
- Place a prohibition on elected officials, party officials, political operatives, and lobbyists from serving on the commission.
- Require supermajority support to pass a map, incentivizing consensus-building and preventing either party from hijacking the commission.
- Prioritize criteria for minimizing county and city splits, maximizing compactness and partisan fairness, and respecting communities of interest
- Create standards for public records and a transparent atmosphere that is conducive to public input.
Activists and lobbyists are planning to engage with state legislators in both the fall 2019 and spring 2020 sessions with a goal of passing legislation before federal lines are redrawn following the 2020 census.
Pennsylvanians Against Gerrymandering is supporting a legislative advocacy campaign.