Here’s what we found:
1. A majority of voters (61%) support the idea of a bipartisan, “Unity Ticket” for president and vice-president in 2020.
Specifically, we asked voters: “How supportive would you be if your preferred presidential candidate chose a running mate of the opposite party to create a ‘Unity ticket’ for president and vice-president that could unite our divided country?”
We found support among 67% of Democrats, 65% of independents, and 51% of Republicans.
2. More voters view political dysfunction (74%) and our disunity (68%) as a threat to America than any other major issue.
“Our dysfunctional political system, including the role of money in politics” was viewed as a “severe” threat by 50% of voters –– including 41% of Republicans, 56% of Democrats, and 53% of independents. An additional 24% of voters view political dysfunction as a “large” threat.
The threat of dysfunction and disunity outpaces eight other issues, including terrorism, the national debt, or climate change.
3. A plurality of voters (39%) do not feel well-represented by either major political party.
Among those who feel politically homeless include 52% of independents, 44% of Republicans, and 17% of Democrats.
4. A super-majority of voters (84%) support a specific package of reforms to increase accountability, competition, and participation in our political system.
Specifically, we polled voters on a four-part proposal to: four proposals to establish term limits in Congress, end the practice of partisan gerrymandering, force all Super PACs to disclose their donors, and make Election Day a national holiday.
Support spanned the political spectrum, including 74% of Republicans, 91% of Democrats, and 87% of independents.
5. A majority of voters are open to supporting an independent presidential candidate in 2020 (56%) –– including 42% of Republicans, 58% of Democrats, and 68% of independents.
Our conclusion: Alienated by both parties and most concerned about political dysfunction, a majority of New Hampshire voters are ready for a “Unity Ticket” ticket in 2020 that can heal our divisions and fix our political system.
TAKE ACTION: Sign the petition to encourage all the presidential candidates to reach across the aisle to choose their running mate in 2020.
The automated telephone survey of 901 New Hampshire Voters was conducted 12/4/18-12/5/18 with a margin of error of +/- 3.3% by Triton Polling & Research.