Unite America is a movement of Democrats, Republicans, and independents who are committed to bridging the growing partisan divide in order to achieve a more representative and functional government.
Founded in 2014, Unite America and its 15-person team has grown to be a leading supporting and coordinating organization within the non-partisan democracy reform movement. The Unite America Fund launched in 2019 and has since mobilized millions of dollars from dozens of philanthropists to reform campaigns and candidates around the country.
Within the last year, the Unite America Fund has been a driving force behind the largest expansion of Ranked Choice Voting in the country in New York City, defeating the most extremist member of Congress in a primary election, and electing candidates who formed a cross-partisan state legislative caucus in Virginia that advanced groundbreaking election reforms. Our focus is on dramatically scaling our impact in the years to come.
The Managing Director will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Unite America Fund, which makes political and philanthropic investments in campaigns, candidates, and organizations. This position will initially manage a team of nine staff and consultants, including three direct reports.
This is a full-time position. The Managing Director will report to the Executive Director, Nick Troiano. While we are open to remote candidates, we have a preference for candidates who are based in our Washington, DC office or at our Denver, CO headquarters.
Partner with the Executive Director to inform Unite America Fund’s organizational strategy.
- Meet regularly with the Executive Director to review plans and priorities.
- Prepare budgets, reports, and other key information for the Executive Director, Board, donors, and other key partners.
- Give feedback and input on key deliverables ahead of Board meetings and funder convenings.
- Generally support the Executive Director, enabling him to focus on external-facing investor relations and partner coordination.
Translate Unite America Fund’s strategic plan into organizational performance through effective goal-setting, team management, and accountability.
- Design & run regular team meetings (staff level, 1:1s, etc) to ensure the team is working as effectively as possible.
- Ensure all team members are clear about near-term, mid-term, and long-term goals, objectives, and priorities. Hold team members accountable to said goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Develop tracker(s) and other methods of reporting results and KPIs, and make sure that obstacles to progress are quickly addressed and resolved.
Directly manage three departments, ensuring alignment and effective use of organizational resources and attention.
Oversee Unite America Fund’s investments and impact. Manage the investment team's priorities and execution, including:
- Conducting due diligence on grant opportunities
- Producing investment recommendations & reports
- Administering grants & managing grantee relations
Oversee Unite America Fund’s communications and brand. Manage the marketing team’s priorities and execution, including:
- Advancing thought leadership around the Fund’s strategy
- Supporting large donor prospecting with PR & earned media, paid search & social, and org social media
- Providing marketing & communications advice and services to the Unite America ecosystem, partners, and grantees
- Defining and “protecting” the Unite America Fund brand, across operations and partner landscape
Oversee Unite America Fund’s operations. Manage the operations team’s priorities and execution, including:
- Financial tracking and reporting
- Legal, compliance, and reporting for a complex network of operational entities
- Overseeing all people, HR, and administrative functions
Build & develop the Unite America Fund’s team.
- Oversee hiring & recruiting programs.
- Invest time and attention in mentoring and developing the Unite America Fund team.
- Foster a culture of direct and honest feedback, personal growth, and intellectual curiosity.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You are passionate about American politics, bridging political divides, and having a healthy political system.
You are a seasoned leader, experienced manager, and organized operator who is capable of leveling up a young organization to drive outsized positive impact. Your leadership philosophy is servant leadership - being of service to members of your team and the extended community that we work to support.
You are capable of overseeing the production of excellent analysis of political campaign opportunities, as well as operational activities and administration related to grant-making. You thrive in a demanding startup environment and are able to navigate uncertainty and ambiguity with a great attitude, attention to detail, and strong desire to achieve clarity for yourself and your team.
Our ideal candidate has a diverse political background in candidate, ballot initiative, and/or legislative advocacy campaigns and possesses a nuanced and sophisticated understanding of the sector. Further experience in any of the following would be welcome: venture capital, brand strategy, philanthropic grant-making, or startups.
- You have a core desire to shape the future of American politics for the better.
- You have at least 10 years of relevant operating experience, and at least 5 years in leadership roles where you have overseen a team and been responsible for setting goals, project & team management, and hitting performance targets.
- You are adept and transforming ambiguity & uncertainty into clarity and action.
- You have at least some exposure to, and understanding of, political compliance and regulatory landscape, campaign finance rules & reporting, and how political entities operate (e.g. PACs, IEs, 527s, 501c4s).
- You have experience overseeing finance teams/function, accounting, budgeting, financial forecasting, and know how to be an executive conduit for that information to the rest of the leadership team.
- You have experience working with and managing distributed teams of staff and consultants.
- You love team building, developing people, and mentoring. You have experience hiring at least a dozen people for various roles, and you have experienced productive and high-energy work cultures.
- Standout candidates will have a strong understanding of the democracy reform ecosystem, including Unite America partner organizations.