Unite America, a national network of aligned nonprofit organizations focusing on political reform, seeks in-house counsel.
ABOUT UNITE AMERICA
Unite America is a movement of Democrats, Republicans, and independents who are committed to bridging the growing partisan divide in order to achieve a more representative and functional government.
Our movement is comprised of several aligned and independently governed nonprofit and for-profit organizations that engage in research and education, support political candidates and ballot initiative campaigns, and provide shared infrastructure and grants to partner organizations.
The in-house counsel role provides a passionate, enterprising, and talented attorney with a unique opportunity to help shape and scale an innovative and impactful political movement.
This position is based in Denver, CO and will report to the Sr. Operations Director and be guided by the organization’s general counsel. This is a full-time role with full benefits.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts
- Vetting employees, vendors and grantees
- Preparing RFPs and reviewing grant applications for compliance with requirements of RFP and applicable laws
- Managing employee and vendor onboarding
- Managing board approval process - identifying matters that require board approval, preparing briefing materials for board review and consideration, drafting resolutions and keeping records of board actions
- Assessing state campaign finance law registration thresholds, reporting requirements and contribution limits
- Advising on state election laws, such as petition signature gathering, ballot access, voter registration
- Developing, implementing and monitoring organizational policies and procedures
- Training employees and vendors on organizational policies, practices and procedures
- Reviewing and approving public communications
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You are a creative, resourceful lawyer who can work comfortably across legal disciplines. Prior experience in government, political campaigns, nonprofit, and/or political reform is preferred but not required, but you must have a deep commitment to Unite America’s mission. You are able to work effectively as part of a team, including Unite America’s outside general counsel, treasury and operations/compliance personnel.
- You have a minimum two years legal experience required in election, campaign finance and/or nonprofit tax law
- You are eligible for Single-Client Counsel Certification pursuant to Colorado Bar Rule 204.1
- You preferably have prior experience in government, political campaigns, nonprofit sector and/or political reform
- You are able to manage multiple priorities and projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with high expectations
- You are an innately fast learner, creative, and resourceful
- You are comfortable working across legal disciplines
- You have exceptional attention to detail
- You are able to work effectively as part of a team - especially including Unite America’s outside general counsel, treasury, and operations/compliance personnel
- You communicate seamlessly both in person and in writing oral and are capable of conveying complex legal subjects to non-lawyers
- You can skillfully engage in back-and-forth communication with Unite America’s employees and vendors