Unite America seeks a Controller. The Controller oversees the accounting operations of the organization, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets.
ABOUT UNITE AMERICA
Unite America is a movement of Democrats, Republicans, and independents who are committed to bridging the growing partisan divide in order to achieve a more representative and functional government.
Our movement is comprised of several aligned and independently governed non-profit and for-profit organizations that engage in research and education, support political candidates and ballot initiative campaigns, and provide shared infrastructure and grants to partner organizations.
The Controller role provides an enterprising, talented financial specialist with a unique opportunity to help shape and scale an innovative and impactful political movement.
The Controller will be based in Denver, Colorado and report to the Sr. Operations Director. This is a full-time role with full benefits.
- Oversee accounting of all transactions for a non-stock corporation, two nonprofit organizations, and multiple federal and state political action committees
- Manage compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings; advise organization leadership on related regulatory matters
- Design, implement, and optimize the organization’s financial management tools to mitigate risk and enhance reporting accuracy
- Produce accurate, detailed financial reports for Board of Directors and organization leadership
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system and system of controls over accounting transactions
- Manage production of annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate and analyze budget variances, advising senior staff on cause, potential impact, and possible solutions
- Process or supervise processing of all accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Ensure completion of periodic bank reconciliation
- Manage relationships with external institutions, including banks, insurance agencies, auditors, and financial consultants
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of implementing and executing financial processes, with a focus on continuous process improvement. They should be energized by a fast-paced start-up environment and have an innate willingness to take initiative. The candidate should also be a quick learner, be a born problem solver, and possess the high level of trustworthiness and personal integrity required of this position.
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field of study (CPA is a plus, but not required)
- 6+ years relevant experience (preferably in nonprofit and/or political accounting)
- Highly proficient in QuickBooks and demonstrated mastery of Excel
- Some level of familiarity with federal and state tax regulations and reporting requirements; eager to learn about political compliance, especially FEC reporting
- Thoroughly analytical and able to both understand and communicate complicated, technical financial concepts to organization leadership and stakeholders
- Strategic thinker able to troubleshoot and prioritize on the fly
- High standard of professionalism and personal integrity